MITCHELL KURTZ ARCHITECT PC has been providing architectural and interior design services for non-profit clients and public agencies ever since its formation in 1986.
Experience and Expertise
Mitchell Kurtz Architect PC possesses specialized experience in the design of public buildings and arts facilities. Mitchell and every member of the firm bring to each project their unique experiences in building design, and understand intimately the complex spatial and technical requirements demanded by public buildings, as well as the integral architectural relationship between these cultural institutions and the communities surrounding them. Our experience covers a wide range of public building and program types, including performing arts facilities, theaters, art studios, dance workshops, galleries and museums, educational facilities and commercial spaces.
The range of project types covered by Mitchell Kurtz Architect PC is varied and extensive. Our work includes new construction, renovations and alterations, restoration of historic buildings, adaptive re-use, feasibility studies and evaluations, long range master planning and phased development plans. We are able to assist our many clients with their building and design needs at each stage in their institution’s growth.
We pride ourselves in continuously revealing the qualities that make public space feel intimate and distinct. Whether theater or public building design, we strive to give our work an integrated sense of place and purpose, which celebrates public gathering as an event. At the same time, our technical skills are finely developed, allowing the integration of building systems, specialized theater systems and other complex technical needs and regulatory requirements into seamless, integrated, efficient design.
Our ultimate goal is to provide each client with design solutions that will be expressive, responsive to the client’s needs, and economical. Through close collaboration with the client, we work with program, site, budget and schedule to offer a variety of architectural solutions that surpass individual project requirements.
Our firm emphasizes personal service. Clients work with the firm’s principal and project architects to receive personal attention throughout the life of a project. A project team comprised of our staff and engineering and specialty consultants is selected to respond to the project’s particular needs. Frequent and timely communication with our clients, along with a high level of service from inception to occupancy, are an important part of our commitment to each project.
Our primary services include:
• architectural design for new building construction;
• architectural design for alterations, additions, restoration and re-use of existing buildings;
• architectural design for restoration and adaptive re-use of landmark and historic structures;
• master planning and feasibility studies;
• architectural design for interiors and space planning;
• pre-planning services, including evaluations of existing buildings, preparation of preliminary scopes of work and budget cost estimates, project timetables, documentation and support for funding requests;
• ongoing client support, including facility alterations, additions, accessibility programs, capital planning and assistance with operating problems.
Non-profit groups, arts service organizations, and educational institutions form the bulk of our client base. We also service developers, producers, property owners and individuals. We have also worked with a multitude of municipal and state agencies and civic authorities. About 65% of our building design and renovation projects are related to the arts while the remaining 35% are other public buildings and community facility building projects.